Tuesday, August 4, 2009

THE HUNGER GAMES



The Hunger Games * Suzanne Collins
2008 * p. 374 * YA Science Fiction

In the future, North America is now the country of Panem which is made up of 12 districts and controlled by the cruel and domianting Capitol. The Capitol's iron grasp keeps the districts virtually powerless and on the brink of continual starvation to squelch any possible rebellions. Long ago, District 13 tried to rebel and they were demolished.

As if to make the point clearer that another District can have the same fate if they rebel, each year the Capitol hosts the Hunger Games. A boy and girl from each of the twelve districts, between the ages of 12 and 18, are chosen out of a large ball. If chosen, they are committed. In the Hunger Games, it is kill or be killed. There is only one winner. Everyone else must die.

Every part of the Games is televised, and everyone must watch.

Katniss Everdeen, 16, from District 12 is supporting her mother and little sister, Prim, in virtually every way. She hunts and trades and by so doing keeps her family alive. She is an excellent hunter, quick and witty.

When her district must choose their boy and girl tribute for the Games everyone holds their breath. Katniss is older and so her odds of being chosen are greater. But her heart stops as Prim's name is called.

"There must have been some mistake. This can't be happening. Prim was one slip of paper in thousands! Her chances of being chosen so remote that I'd not even bothered to worry about her. Hadn't I done everything? Taken the tessarae, refused to let her do the same? One slip. One slip in thousands. The odds had been entirely in her favor. But it hadn't mattered.

'I volunteer!' I gasp. 'I volunteer as tribute!' (22).

Katniss volunteers as tribute to save her sister's life. And so, she and Peeta Mallark, the boy chosen from her district, must go together to the Capitol and enter the Hunger Games. Peeta has saved her life a long time ago. And things are awkward, because if she wants to ever come back home she will have to kill him and 22 other tributes.

WOW.

I read quite a bit, but its only every once in awhile that I read a book that I just LOVE.

Love! I cry, I squeal, I smile, I shout, I can't put the book down. It's actually a rarity. So THANK YOU Suzanne Collins. You just got added to my list of authors that I want to personally hug.

The Hunger Games is A-MAZING! Seriously, wow. So good. But darn you Suzanne for leaving the ending the way you did! Now I have to be obsessed over it until the next book comes out. (its ok actually, I don't really mind :)

I consider this a science fiction book for people who don't like science fiction. There's adventure, romance, tons of tension with twists and turns, heart-wrenching scenes, etc. Wonderful!

I gathered the follwing info on how Collins came up with the idea for the Hunger Games:

"She also cites the Greek myth of Theseus, in which the city of Athens was forced to send young men and women to Crete to be devoured by the Minotaur, as inspiration for the nation of Panem; she explains, "Crete was sending a very clear message: 'Mess with us and we'll do something worse than kill you. We'll kill your children.'"

EVERYONE should read this book.

-Reading level: ages 15 & up
-Violence. Obviously the book is about teens that must kill or be killed. But the violence is tastefully done with few details and prolonged gore. I get squeamish over violence and gore, and this book did not effect me in that way at all.
-Themes of survival, courage, slavery, trust, love, sacrifice.
-LOVE IT!

No comments: